Sunday, 13 July 2014

Day 4 - Marla to Yulara

Another early start. We wanted to get away early again today as our bodies were getting sore and there would be regular breaks to stretch and get off these really comfortable 2x4 seats that Suzuki supplied.

The only thing lacking at the Marla caravan park is a camp kitchen. The only thing they had were 2 barbecues with very warped hot plates. So we warped them some more. Burnt some toast on them and warmed our nearly numb fingers. We were cold already, this was going to be a looooong day.

We had a few stops to get some blood flow back into our fingers and pulled up at the border for lunch. The guys we chatted to at Marla pulled up about 30 mins after we got there. They had pulled up somewhere and camped for the night. They heard us go past and thought they'd better catch up.

Next stop Erlduna for fuel. The road out to Yulara drops the speed limit down to 100. Doesn't sound like much but you can feel the difference, especially when you are really sore and just want to get off the bike.

Mt Conner 
The first glimpse I caught of Mt Conner had me longing to see Ayres Rock. This amazing mountain had a glow about it. It looked more like a hologram that a mountain in the middle of nowhere.

Lunch at Curtain Springs. Great food and good company.

You know where you are now?

First glimpse. WOW, awe inspiring.

 Is this the wrong time to mention I knew someone who had a pet dingo called Azzalea?

The power station next to the camp grounds... All I can say is I am glad we were at the other end of the park.

Camp kitchen was a good setup

After setting up camp we did a load of washing. It was nice to have clean clothes and plenty of them to keep us warm.

We were settling in when we came head to head with the arrogance that is a KTM rider. This guy parked his bike on the grass and he and his group proceeded to be loud all night. They started fighting between themselves in a very public display of testosterone. It was a welcome sight the next day when they packed up and fucked off, after starting there bikes early and letting them idle for half an hour.

(Disclaimer - We did meet some nice KTM riders along the way, but for the most part the ones we came across on this trip were exactly like this guy)

Dinner, a couple of rums and into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment